Wednesday, December 26, 2007

For The Love Of Music

The next time you have the chance to watch a live musical performance – whether it be a symphony, a musical, or a rock concert – be sure to watch the musicians . . . in the audience.

It’s fascinating to watch a musician listen to music. As I write this, I’m watching the Kennedy Center Honors. This year, among the honorees is Leon Fleisher, a classical pianist that I’d never heard of before tonight. He sat in the audience as an ensemble performed Beethoven’s “Choral Fantasy,” and every so often, the camera would cut to Mr. Fleisher’s face as he watched. You could almost see that he was mentally playing the piece along with the musicians on stage. Later, as Hootie & The Blowfish performed “California Girls” in honor of Brian Wilson, the camera again cut to Mr. Wilson & Mr. Fleisher. They were both out of their chairs, clapping along and getting as close to dancing as men their age can.

I’m reminded of going to a Billy Joel concert several years ago. The song “Piano Man” is a staple at his shows (I’m not sure he’d get out of the stadium alive without playing it). Of course, everyone in the crowd knows the song by heart. When he gets to one of the last choruses, he and the band will stop playing and singing, letting the audience take over. The simultaneous pride and humility is written on his face as he sits and listens to hundreds upon thousands of people sing the song he penned so many decades ago.

I often wonder if it’s the same with God. After all, we are His masterpiece (see Ephesians 2:10). And, like a musician listening to a favorite piece, He knows exactly where our lives should be going (see Proverbs 16:19). Sadly, though, I sometimes feel that God is not so much beaming at a great performance than He is wincing at the flubbed notes. But this is not the God I serve.

I remember, as a kid, taking part in way too many piano recitals. Mom and Dad were always there, dutifully enduring all the younger kids, until it was my turn at the piano. And when I was done, they were always so proud, regardless of how many mistakes I had made (and there were many, I assure you). It was almost as if the goofs had passed right through their consciousness, and all they heard was the heart of the musician, rather than the notes of the piece.

This is how God sees me now that I’ve given my heart over to Christ. I Samuel 16:7 says, “Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." All the goofs, all the mistakes, all the missed notes, none of that matters to Him. All He sees is my heart, which is inhabited by Christ. And so, as He looks at me, with all my flaws, He can still look upon my heart and say, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.” (Matthew 3:17) And that’s music to my ears.

1 comment:

Stefunkc said...

I've missed your words! Glad I found you:)