Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Helping God?

When I was a kid, I was a helper. Still am, to some extent. I’m always available to lend a hand wherever I can. I’ve helped countless friends move, I’ve given advice (some of it actually good), and the list goes on. It’s just how I’m wired.

There are times, though, when I go too far. Once in a while, when I think I’ve gotten it all figured out (HA!) and I’m just sure that I know what God has planned out for me, I try to help God. As you can imagine, that always works out well.

See, trying to jump the gun on God’s plans is a lot like trying to read the last chapter of a mystery novel. Yeah, you know whodunit, but you lose the joy of discovery, the process of learning the why, the how, the process of deduction that leads the hero to the solution. Where’s the joy in that?

It’s much like that in the life of a Christ-follower. Sure, we can try and figure out the end result of what God has in mind for us, try to skip ahead, find a shortcut, but we miss the process. We miss the opportunity to overcome obstacles and experience the thrill of victory. We miss the chance to rely on God and learn that He is truly able to be our source of help and strength.

Whenever I’m foolish enough to predict God, He’s usually kind enough to give me a gentle reminder of who needs to be in charge. Since I’m a little dense, and subtlety is often lost on me, God gets . . . well, sarcastic with me. Don’t believe God can be sarcastic? Read on, my friend.

The book of Job tells the story of a man who had everything taken from him; possessions, position, family, everything. Job’s friends tried to tell him that God was angry about some unconfessed sin or some other nonsense, and these troubles were God’s form of punishment. In the midst of all this, Job cries out: “I cry to you, O God, but you don’t answer. I stand before you, but you don’t even look. You have become cruel toward me. You use your power to persecute me. You throw me into the whirlwind and destroy me in the storm. And I know you are sending me to my death - the destination of all who live.” (Job 30:20-23)

I love God’s response. “Have you explored the springs from which the seas come? Have you explored their depths? Do you know where the gates of death are located? Have you seen the gates of utter gloom? Do you realize the extent of the earth? Tell me about it if you know!” (Job 38:16-18) He goes on to ask, “Do you still want to argue with the Almighty? You are God’s critic, but do you have the answers?” (Job 40:2) This is how God speaks to me when He really wants me to get what He’s trying to teach me.

I can almost hear him now (sounding suspiciously like a cross between Charlton Heston and my father). “How can you guess what I have in store for you? I have every step planned out for you, and all you have to do is take each one as they come. If you think you have a better plan, then go for it; just as soon as you create your own universe and populate it with life, then you can claim the knowledge and wisdom to call the shots. Until then, why don’t you try trusting Me?”

I love helping people. And I will continue to do so as long as God allows me to do so. But I’m going to stop trying to help God. He doesn’t need my help, just my willingness to follow. No more skipping to the end. Just looking for the next right step.

No comments: