Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Answers vs. Truth

Being a rational, logical sort of guy, I spend a good deal of my time seeking answers. If there’s a problem, chances are I’m trying to find some sort of solution, even if the problem isn’t mine. It’s just how I’m wired (must be all those mysteries I keep reading). As it turns out, there’s an entire industry dedicated to providing answers to the world; publishing.

The next time you chance to have a free hour or so, head to your local bookstore and peruse the self-help section. There you will find pages upon pages of advice, direction and sure-fire plans to make your life what it would have been had you been smart enough to figure it out on your own. It’s so kind of all these people to educate the rest of the world as to where we’ve gone wrong and how to fix it.

There’s one little problem, though. The authors tend to contradict each other. Between the doctors, motivational coaches, and other various self-help authors, no one seems to be abele to agree on what the definitive answer to life, the universe, and everything seems to be (it’s 42, by the way. Thank you, Mr. Adams). All these people are at odds with each other, and for one reason alone: to get money from your wallet into theirs. Knowing that there are so many “answers” available, how is one supposed to know which answers are the right ones?

I’ve finally decided that I no longer want the answers to life’s questions. I just don’t. Having an answer implies that the given situation is fixed, and no longer needs attention. There are very few life issues that can be dealt with in such a manner. You see, “answers” are, at best temporary fixes, sort of a psychological duct tape to hold things together until the next thing goes awry. I’m not after the temporary fix. I want something more lasting. I want truth to govern my life.

See, truth is a permanent thing. Truth is truth, no matter what the transient nature of life may be. It always holds up. Truth may be hard to deal with, and at times unpleasant, but it will never be wrong. This is the stuff of life for which I strive. I believe that if I live my life according to the things I know to be true, then I will have a life worthy of living, one that goes beyond mere existence into significance. One that leaves the world a little better than I entered it.

For example, in Ephesians, Paul writes, “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” (3:20, NLT) My finite human mind can’t even fathom what God may have planned for me, but I can rest in the truth that He is powerful enough to achieve far more than I could possibly dream. Whenever I am reminded of this (which happens far more often than should be necessary), I find a peace in the idea that I don’t have to have all then answers, because God has things well in hand, and all I have to do is be His kid. And that’s a truth that will remain true as long as this world spins on it’s axis.

So, for all those self-help junkies out there, those who believe Dr. Phil is an oracle and Oprah a prophet, just remember: their shows will be canceled someday, and their books will eventually go out of print due to obsolescence. The truth will remain forever, and will be proven again and again.

No comments: