Friday, October 26, 2007

Training vs. Leadership

I was trained to be a Christian.

I realize that may seem like an odd statement, but stick with me, I’m going somewhere with this, I promise.

I came to this realization not long ago. I’ve been looking at my life, sort of trying to figure out where I’m going by looking at where I’ve been, especially in the spiritual realm. What kind of man do I want to be, what kind of life do I want to live, how do I want to be remembered, that sort of thing. And in the midst of this internal self-examination, I had this epiphany . . .

I was trained to be a Christian.

Let me explain. I have worked in retail for a while now, and I’ve trained a few people on how to do their jobs. The idea of this training is to teach the employee how to do the job, answer whatever questions they may have, and, once they appear to have the procedures nailed down, leave them to do their job as you go off to do yours. Pretty basic and straight forward. Occasionally, they’ll have a question, and you’ll answer it and go on about your business.

I realized that, to some extent, that’s how my spiritual development has been. When I was a kid, we went to church every week, and I dutifully went to Sunday school and learned about Jesus. As I grew older, the pattern changed very little. I took in the information about God, regurgitated it properly to the right people, and assumptions were made that if I knew it, then I’d live it out. Nothing more was needed on the part of my trainers.

Granted there were a few people who went beyond the call of duty. At this moment, I can think of one youth pastor who took more of an interest in the state of my heart than simply imparting information. Most of the rest seemed to be concerned about how I appeared to other eyes. What I learned from all of that was to give the right answers, make others believe that you have it all together, and then you’re a good Christian boy. That was the training I received. Well, guess what . . .

It doesn’t work that way.

All that kind of religious training does is produce unfulfilled human beings who think they have to get it perfect or else their church, and, by extension, God, won’t accept them. I know. That was me.

And the cycle continues to perpetuate itself. And as a result, Christianity as it was meant to be erodes further and further until it is hardly recognizable. Read through Acts, chapter 2, and compare that to the typical church of today. See any resemblance? Maybe a pale reflection, a cheap imitation, but that’s about it.

I know I’m coming off as pretty harsh, but I’m now seeing kids who are hurting, and are simply ill-equipped to deal with it, spiritually speaking. Kids and young adults who are dealing with real loneliness, real heartache, real grown-up problems that they shouldn’t have to deal with yet, if at all.

So, what’s the alternative? Real, honest-to-goodness leadership.

I’m learning now that it’s better to be led than it is to be trained. To be led is an ongoing process that really never ends. It’s a daily decision to follow the direction of one who knows better. It’s the idea that there will always be someone to guide you through the rough spots with love and patience. It’s the knowledge that, no matter what comes up, you’ll never have to go through it alone.

I can’t help but think of Peter. Here was a simple fisherman, impulsive and rough. Jesus came to him and said, simply, “Follow me.” And he did. Not perfectly, by any means, but he kept following. This impulsive, rough fisherman founded the first church (again, see Acts 2). This is the same man who, shortly after cutting off the ear of a man who had come to take Christ away, denied even knowing Him. I relate to Peter in many ways. I have been known to praise God in one moment, then commit egregious sins the next. And God is always there to lead me through the bad stuff so that I can get into the good stuff the He intended for me all along.

So, I’m now in the process of shedding all the training I’ve had so that I can be led by the ultimate leader, the One who already knows where the best path is, and is willing to show me if I’ll only allow myself to be led rather than go my own way and eventually need to be led back to the right way.

And I pray that, in dealing with others, I can lead them to the One who can lead them to everything they never knew they needed. Just like He’s doing with me.

No comments: